You may not know what marketing strategies for eCommerce are or how to create a market strategy.
But what if we tell you: Social networks, SEO, emails, or videos … these concepts are much more familiar to you?
This is because even without knowing what marketing strategies are, we have all heard about the marketing techniques that make them up, which is also known as “types of marketing.”
Discover in this article the most common marketing strategies of a company, what they are for and how to develop them in your business. In addition, we will teach you to make a selection of the most recommended marketing strategies for your company.
Shall we start?
Discover thousands of products to sell online. No compromises; no credit card required.
SIGN UP FOR OBERLO NOW. IT’S FREE.
- What are the marketing strategies?
- 7 types of marketing strategies for eCommerce
- Selection of marketing strategies
What are the marketing strategies?
Marketing strategies are all those activities and techniques that are created and developed with the aim of promoting and publicizing a certain product or service.
These marketing activities are also known as marketing strategies or go-to-market strategies in some countries, but these concepts all mean practically the same thing.
Today, there is a clear preference for digital marketing, as it allows more visible results, but the truth is that there are types of marketing strategies that are put into practice in the offline field, such as sponsorship of events, for example.
What are marketing strategies for?
Marketing strategies are used to publicize and promote the products and services of a company.
The specific objectives may vary but, in general, we can say that through the different types of market strategies you will achieve:
- Gain visibility
- Increase your web traffic
- Get more sales
- Improve customer loyalty
In addition, taking into account the specific objectives you want to achieve will help you make a better selection of the marketing strategies that are best for you to use in your business.
How to create a marketing strategy?
Now that you know what objectives to take into account when designing marketing strategies, let’s explain how to do market strategies to launch or promote a product.
To create a marketing strategy, we recommend:
- Analyze the market and the competition
- Know the types of marketing strategies that exist. (You will find out in this article, so read on)
- Develop a marketing plan
- Don’t forget how the 4ps of the marketing mix influence decision-making.
- Put the various marketing techniques into practice.
- Evaluate the results and improve your market strategies periodically
7 types of marketing strategies for eCommerce
As we said, let’s see what marketing strategies exist and how to design market strategies for your business.
1. Social networks
Do you think managing your social networks is as easy as posting content frequently? Unfortunately not.
If you want to succeed, you need a social media marketing plan … and one that works.
All social networks have a specific target audience. For example, if you have a clothing store, you probably won’t get customers on LinkedIn. Instead, you should focus on visual platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
Once you’ve figured out which social media platforms to use for your business, it’s time to focus on your marketing strategies. To do this, think for a moment about the following questions:
- What kind of content should you post?
- What is the niche and visual style of your store?
- How often and when to post on your social networks?
If you still don’t know what specific marketing techniques you can carry out, here are some examples of marketing strategies:
- Create a marketing calendar. Analyze your statistics to discover the participation patterns of your audience. And don’t forget to do special promotions or specific content on parties and celebrations.
The benefit of pre-planning your social strategy is that it helps you maintain consistency and balance in all your marketing activities.
- Share user-generated content. Your customers and followers post content on social media. Share this content with your audience (with their permission, of course). This will help build brand recognition and loyalty and lighten your workload a bit.
- Run contests. While giving giveaways shouldn’t be a daily activity in your marketing strategy, you should include them from time to time. It is one of the most effective marketing strategies to get more followers.
SEO positioning is one of the best marketing strategies for those who think in the long run. While it is true that it will not bring you results from day one, it is a great free technique.
With a little practice and with the help of some SEO tools, you will be able to reach a wider audience with which you will get many more sales.
So what are the marketing strategies for SEO?
The truth is that understanding how SEO works for dropshipping or eCommerce is not something that we can cover in this post, but here are some examples of marketing activities that you can carry out:
- Update old content. Google considers that new and fresh content is more relevant to the user and that is why it favors its positioning. So while creating content periodically is important, it’s worth spending a little time reviewing and updating what we already have.
- Eliminate duplicate content. For example, a common SEO mistake that many dropshipping stores make is copying manufacturers’ descriptions on their website. This is called “duplicate content” and can result in a penalty from Google. A penalty could eliminate your visibility in their search engines, reducing your traffic.
- Don’t over-optimize: Have you heard the expression less is more? Well, this is also true in SEO. Including your keyword, too many times or adding too many internal links can be penalized. So even though they are marketing techniques that you should keep in mind, it is better not to abuse any of these practices. Naturalness and relevance above all.
3. Content marketing
One of the most popular marketing strategies today is content marketing. It helps keep acquisition costs low and is also great for getting leads.
Like SEO, it is a long-term bet. But is it worth it?
The best thing is the versatility that it allows you. In fact, you can publish content in many formats: blogs, e-books, videos, infographics, webinars, podcasts, polls, quizzes, templates, and more.
So what marketing techniques should you include in your content strategy?
- Start a blog. Blogs tend to have a bigger impact and help you achieve long-term growth. We recommend that when creating a blog you do it with your niche in mind. For example, if you have a store focused on athletic products, start by writing articles about the sport. Once you have an audience of runners, start writing fitness articles. Once you’ve built an audience of athletes, start creating health and wellness content. So you can scale and increase your audience.
- Try formats that interest your audience. To understand it better, let’s take an example of this marketing activity. Let’s say your target market is businessmen. You could start a blog, yes, but maybe it’s better to choose to create a podcast so they can consume your content on the way to work.
- Be different. You will often hear that the secret of a company’s marketing strategy is to be different. And is that with so many available offers, you must offer added value if you want users to choose your brand. This is what is known as a competitive advantage.
The most successful blogs and websites start with a specific, easily scalable niche.
4. Collaborations: Influencer and affiliate marketing
Collaborating or partnering with other brands or users can help make your business grow. Let’s see how to do collaborative marketing strategies.
For example, market strategies such as influencer marketing allow you to increase your business traffic by taking advantage of the audience of other accounts.
Per, we understand you, this costs money.
If you don’t have enough budget to find influencers or affiliates to promote your products, don’t worry. You can also partner with other brands. It is common to think that other brands in your same niche are your competition but the truth is that if you sell different products, collaborating can help each other
By taking advantage of another brand’s audience, your marketing strategy will be much more effective and economical.
If, on the contrary, you do have some initial investment, you can also bet on affiliate marketing. We have seen that it gives very good results for many businesses
5. Email marketing
For many online stores, email marketing or email marketing generates immediate results in terms of traffic and sales.
Therefore, we recommend that you work on various marketing techniques and activities that allow you to build your list of subscribers. You can create an email list by asking your customers to enter it when they leave your website. Or, you can add an opt-in form on your blog, home page, etc.
Here are some of the best email marketing strategies to gain subscribers:
- Offer discounts: You can use applications like Spin-A-Sale, which allows you to add a wheel of luck so that your customers can qualify for discounts in exchange for entering their email address.
- Create email sequences. Welcome emails, order confirmation and delivery, loyalty offers, promotions, abandoned cart, related products, etc. There are millions of marketing activities you can do to improve your marketing strategy.
- Segment your email list. As your subscriber list grows, personalization and market segmentation become essential. Apps like Customer Segment Builder can help you with this.
Advertising is one of the main marketing strategies of a company. Although it requires investment, its effectiveness pays off.
What Marketing Strategies Work Best? We recommend:
- Try Facebook ads. Even if you already have experience with this platform, Facebook is constantly changing so it is never a bad time to rediscover the newest market tricks or techniques. For example, did you know that you can also make ads on Facebook Messenger?
Another type of advertising to take into account on this platform is retargeting ads. All you need to do is add a code called a pixel to your website. This code will track who visited your website and what products they browsed through. The ads will show them that same product, which increases the chances of winning the customer back.
- Experiment with YouTube ads. If you sell highly visual products or services, you may want to start advertising on YouTube. Making video content is not that simple, but the results are very positive.
- Make your way with Google Shopping. The best thing about this platform is that you can be sure that users are interested in buying. And this, without a doubt, works in your favor. That being said, payment is based on bids, so getting in search results for the most popular keywords is unrealistic unless you’re on a big budget. Therefore, we recommend that you choose a more specific niche and not so saturated.
The design of these marketing strategies requires market research, so do not rush.
7. Video marketing
Today, video marketing is one of the most important marketing strategies. Fortunately, creating videos has never been easier than before. All you need is your mobile and an app to make free videos.
So what are the video marketing strategies you should try?
- Create videos for different formats and platforms. Behind-the-scenes videos, looping videos, product reviews, vlogs, interviews, webinars, tutorial videos, live videos, etc. There are millions of formats that you can try. The only thing you should keep in mind is that it is important to customize the content of your video depending on the audience and the platform you use.
- Post short videos on social media. It costs less work to produce them, you can publish them several times a day and you can produce more. While high-production videos can provide higher video quality, short videos with frequent posts will help you increase your brand presence.
- Use Instagram stories to connect with your customers. Instagram stories are the perfect way to get closer to your customers in the most natural way possible. Although this type of content does not require professional quality, it is important that your videos are eye-catching and entertaining. Also, don’t forget to include a call-to-action or call to action within the video to direct your followers to your website.
Selection of marketing strategies
You have surely noticed that all these marketing strategies can complement each other.
So when creating a company’s marketing strategy, there is no need to select a single marketing technique or activity. It is precisely the selection of various strategies that will drive a higher level of growth.
Each of these marketing strategies works together to help you achieve your marketing goals. So if you’re looking to experiment with user-generated content, you can also experiment with affiliate or influencer marketing to build a large customer base by using some of the specific marketing techniques we covered in this article.
The important thing is that you understand how to do marketing strategies and learn to develop techniques and strategies to launch a product and promote it yourself. Thus, you can generate long-term sales.
Now tell us: what eCommerce marketing strategies will you implement in your online store?