Are you a writer who would like to publish your content online? … Or maybe you want to position yourself online with a personal blog? … Maybe you want to learn how to create a free blog to support your eCommerce? … In any case, you have come to a suitable site.
Whatever your particular situation, if you woke up this morning thinking: “I want to create a blog”, congratulations. You already have 10% done. Now you just have to go on an adventure. In this article, we explain how to make a blog step by step and without complications.
Shall we start?
7 Advantages of having a blog
If you are wondering “why create a blog?”, Here are the main advantages of opening a blog in 2021 :
1. Blogging can be an excellent marketing strategy to support your online store. In it, you can show some of your products and show their characteristics and functionalities.
2. Another advantage of creating a blog is to enrich the relationship with your customers. A blog adds value to your customers by providing content that helps them make the most of their purchase. Some decide to blog simply to ensure happier customers.
3. In the long run, it will help you improve your SEO positioning and convert more customers for free. And the results are almost permanent. For example, a blog post published months or even years ago but is well managed, can still bring potential customers to your website.
4. In addition, it can serve to position you as an expert within your dropshipping or eCommerce niche or even to enhance your personal brand.
5. Likewise, having a blog that shows the experience and values of your brand helps to establish a relationship of trust with your visitors, while at the same time promoting loyalty towards your brand.
6. If you are consistent, you can even monetize your content and end up generating a few passive income. This can be through advertisements, guest posts, or advertising mentions.
7. But if even blogging is your exclusive activity, if you start to gain more and more readers, you could even incorporate an online merchandising store related to your blog. For example, if you have a sports blog, you could open an online store for sports products, clothing, and accessories. Great to get a little money.
How to create a blog from scratch?
Now that you know what are the benefits of designing a blog, it’s time to know how to create a blog step by step and for free.
1. Define your goals
The first thing you have to define to make a blog is your strategy. As if it were a business plan.
And, to outline a strategy, you must first set your goals. To do this, ask yourself: Why do I want to have a personal blog or with my brand?
The answer to this question will help you establish a general strategy to fill your blog with content, as well as the frequency of publication, the distribution channels, and the promotion of the article …
It is not the same to want to start a personal blog to enhance your individual brand as part of the content marketing of your eCommerce. Will you be able to post weekly or monthly? Everything is important when establishing your strategy and objectives.
2. Choose a platform to create a free or paid blog
Once you have defined the objectives and content strategy, you must choose a platform on which to create a blog.
If you already have an online store, you can see if the platform where it is mounted allows you to add blogs.
For example, in Shopify, stores have a section called News that you can use as a blog for your online store. In case your store is on Shopify, you can follow the instructions to add the link to your blog hosted on an external platform at this link.
If your store is not on Shopify, we recommend investigating how to create a subdomain on your website.
For example, if your site is www.tiendaenlinea.com, the subdomain for your blog could be www.blog.tiendaenlinea.com or www.siendaenlinea.com/blog.
This is definitely the easiest option to create a free blog. So if you already have an eCommerce platform, check if it allows free blogging.
However, if you are looking for how to make a personal blog, that is, without the intention of selling online, you will have to find a platform that allows you to blog.
Some of the best known and most used platforms to the blog are:
- Blogger (also known as Blogspot)
- Pulse (LinkedIn’s publishing platform)
In fact, many times users ask us directly how to blog in blogger or Blogspot, but the truth is that each of these platforms has its advantages and disadvantages when it comes to blogging.
Ease of use, the possibility of creating a free blog vs. monthly fee, possibility to customize the hosting … The best thing is that you investigate a little more the platforms and decide which one best suits your needs.
3. Discover how to design a blog
Once you have the platform and domain for your blog, one of the most important parts is the design.
Depending on the blogging platform you have chosen, there will be different options and possibilities for customizing the design.
Have you ever heard of corporate identity? And the brand image?
You must choose a design whose colors, fonts, style … are attractive to your readers and, above all, consistent in all your materials.
Another point to consider is that the design should be clean and aid reading. To achieve this, you can opt for a design in which white spaces predominate and a simple typeface. And don’t forget that the design looks just as good on mobile devices as it does on the desktop version.
This may not seem important to you right now. We understand. You just want to know how to make a blog. But the truth is that if you want to have a successful blog, these details are essential.
4. Write the content for your blog
You have decided to learn how to create a new blog, but the web is already full of content. What value do your articles bring vs. those of the competition?
It is important that if you decide to open a blog, you do so to offer more value to the community. There is no use writing about the same topics that other writers are already writing. Choose to have a new, different blog that surprises the reader and connects with him.
Ideas can run out quickly, and this can make you throw in the towel.
Fortunately, there are options to find the answer to what to write and see what works best.
A good idea is to make a list of keywords related to your target market to find content ideas.
In addition, you can review forums dedicated to the niche in which you participate. In this way, you can establish thematic lines to know where to guide the content of your blog.
Some sites to find keywords and topics related to your niche are:
- Google keyword planner
- Google Trends
- Reddit forums
- Facebook Groups
These sites can help you understand what your prospects are looking for and give you clues on how to create a successful blog.
5. Distribute and promote the content of your blog
Once you know how to create a blog and make the content, you must know how to distribute and monetize it.
Distribution is getting your blog content out to as many people as possible.
For this, you can make use of all the channels at your fingertips, such as:
- Social networks
- Email marketing
- Collaborations on blogs or with influencers
Once the content is published and distributed, over time you can think about monetizing it to earn extra money.
For this, you must be consistent and constantly monitor your content to know which one works best.
If you are disciplined and consistent with your posts, create valuable content that is attractive and helps you establish yourself as an authority in your niche and with a captive audience, it is more feasible to monetize your blog.
For this, there are options such as:
- Sell ad space
- Make Promoted Items
- Affiliate marketing
Now that you know all the steps to create a blog, it’s time to take action. Tell us in the comments if you dare at the end and tell us which is your favorite platform to have the blog!